By Dietitian – Nutritionist Dimitra Karagianni
Extra Virgin Olive oil and its healing properties
Extra Virgin Olive oil is the basis of the Mediterranean Diet, a model of proper and hygiene
nutrition and longevity factor. The beneficial properties of olive oil lie
in its organoleptic characteristics and its nutritional composition. The importance
of olive oil in our diet is high because it is rich in monounsaturated
fat and is a rich source of antioxidants (eg polyphenols), omega-3 fats
acids and fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) that shield our body from
• Contributes to the proper functioning of the heart. Reducing their levels
triglycerides and LDL cholesterol in the blood. Increasing HDL levels
cholesterol and improving blood pressure. Antioxidants prevent cell destruction and contribute to
protection of arteries. Thus preventing atherosclerosis and coronary artery disease
• Helps prevent degenerative diseases of the central nervous system
system such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease
• It has a positive effect on bone health, contributing to the development of a strong structure
bone in children. Preventing calcium loss in adults.
• It is a natural anti-inflammatory. (olecanthal, oleic acid)
• Acts protectively against the appearance of malignant tumors. (breast cancer,
• Strengthens the immune system and can reduce its symptoms
rheumatoid arthritis. (joint pain and swelling)
• Improves the function of the digestive system, reducing symptoms
of constipation. (consuming a spoonful every night before bedtime works
as a mild laxative)
• It has emollient and moisturizing properties as it keeps the skin healthy. The
fat-soluble vitamins contained, act protectively in free radical formation and cell oxidation. (common cause of
premature aging of the skin)
• Associated with better regulation of blood glucose levels in healthy people
• Reduces the risk of depression.
• Increases life expectancy.
The beneficial properties of olive oil apply when it is consumed
at least 1 tablespoon on a daily basis.
Dietetics – Nutrition at Harokopio University. During the study
, carried out an internship at GNA G. Gennimatas, in the food industry
and in a private dietetic office. Her dissertation was entitled “Dietetics
treatment of adults with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract “. Alongside,
participated in several seminars and conferences on Nutrition, and participated in
in voluntary nutrition days.
seminar “Nutrition and Mental Health” of the Medical School of the University of Thessaly.
He believes that a healthy diet should be an integral part of everyone’s life
combined with exercise, can offer a desired result in the way
of life. Being Greek, she promotes the Mediterranean Diet and tries to transmit them
benefits her family, friends and clients.
Dimitra set up her business and keeps it fully updated
Instagram and Facebook account, named nutrifull_. In her profile you will find
both healthy recipes and useful tips on various topics related to
Diet. At the same time, he works as a dietitian and provides nutritional advice to individuals
well-known gym chain.